Thursday, December 25, 2008

"Your flight has been canceled, do not go to the airport."

It's 10:05 am on Christmas Eve day, I am in the waiting area at Seatac airport getting ready to board my "on time" (according to the board) flight in about a half hour. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:00am. At this time, I get a random automated phone call from Alaska Airlines telling me not to go to the airport & that my flight has been canceled. Um seriously, the flight is in an hour!? I would love to be hanging out at home one hour before my flight while living in Seattle, 30 minutes away from the airport. Oh my flight leaving in one hour is canceled? Good thing I'm still at home...probably not.

After many conversations with Cindy, aka the most un-helpful person at the Alaska Customer Service counter, we were set to begin our standby status for any flights heading near remotely near Walla Walla. After a couple unsuccessful attempts on standby, a couple re-directs and many printed boarding passes...we finally found Mario. Mario is the Alaska worker who saved Christmas. A flight that we were told moments earlier was booked, with a standby list of 25, magically opened up for the 4 of us to have actual seats! Above are all of our boarding passes for the day. I was so happy I told Mario that I wanted to hug him when he came around the counter to hand out our boarding passes. He gave me a nervous laugh and quickly walked away...no hug.

Luckily I found some old Walla Walla friends on my flight that also dealt with the chaos of the day. Here we are, finally getting ready to board our flight home, 9 hours later! The new flight was scheduled to leave at 2:25, then 3:47, then 4:05, then 4:15, then 4:25, then 4:55, then finally 5:35. Six flight delays later (announced each time in a twin voice identical to the guy performing the marriage ceremony in Princess Bride) we were finally on our way & so very excited!!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Yikes... I felt so bad for all the peeps at the airport! I wanted to bake everyone cookies!